Monday, August 27, 2007

Proud to be a 'U.S. American'

I don't watch pageants. I find them mind-numbingly boring and a really big waste of time. I used to watch them when I was a little girl. Mom and I would pick our favorite to win and then get mad when she'd get eliminated. I think all little girls watch pageants though.

The Miss Teen USA pageant was the other day...maybe this weekend? I don't know. Anyway, there is a question/answer section of the pageant, which always amuses me. But this takes the cake. Miss South Carolina...poor little Miss South Carolina. Her question was

"One in five Americans cannot locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?"

Not a terribly difficult question....could be answered with some rambling b.s. about the state of our education system, education not made a priority, blah blah. This was her response....may I caution you that in order to fully appreciate the intelligence behind this response, you need to read it out loud and S-L-O-W-L-Y.

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uhmmm, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and uh, I believe that our, I, education like, such as uh, South Africa, and uh, the Iraq, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uhhh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, should help South Africa, it should help the Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future, for us."

Wanna see it? Click here: Miss South Carolina on YouTube

I realize how difficult it might be to come up with some kind of intelligent response on National TV with AC Slater from Saved by the Bell holding a microphone to your mouth. I understand that nerves can sometimes make you say things you might not ordinarily say. But the allowance for those factors was used up right after she called us "U.S. Americans". Seriously.

4 comments:

Brenda is SO Blessed said...

oh dear! poor thing made a mess out of that didnt she? even if she is half way smart she looks like a big dummy--- but maybe someone will explain to her why it was a dumb answer LOL
hope all is well with you

Laurie said...

LMBO! now that was funny, good thing she's cute!!

Cindy said...

When I saw that video, I was embarrassed for her. For a brief second, I thought maybe she was trying be very forward thinking, you know since Canada and Mexico are in North America, you could be very forward thinking and call them Americans. Alas, I just don't think she had that kind of though processes going on.

Jovian said...

this was truely funny, thanks for posting it, i showed it to my friend and my husband and we all laughed so hard. i do kind of feel sorry for her but i guess it's ture what they say, you can't have looks and brains....it's obvious which she got....poor girl.