Sunday, September 16, 2007

Pretty clear weekend, PRK Blog #7

I'm so glad some of you have been following along with my progress. That means I'm not writing all this for nothing. Not that I thought I was, but you know, it's nice to have some validation.

This weekend we went out of town for my best friend's birthday party. I was a bit worried about my vision without the contacts in now and having a party and being able to enjoy myself, but it really wasn't all that bad.

Saturday morning when I woke up I was paranoid about dryness but I was pleased to find that I was able to open my eyes ok and without anything sticking or feeling really awful. I did however wake up with the Big White Blob in my right eye. I rinsed with my saline and put my daily drops in but the Big White Blob did not go away. For the first time in my life, my left eye was stronger than my right. The difference was quite strange, as it still is. With my right eye closed my left one is really doing quite well. As we were driving along the interstate I was able to read lots of far away signs with my left eye, but my right eye was still being impaired from the Big White Blob.

I am happy to report as the day progressed the right eye cleared up a bit and I was actually uite able to enjoy the party without much blurriness. I wouldn't declare my vision wonderful, but pretty darn good would be an accurate description. I also noticed that my light sensitivity was better on Saturday than it has been. At night my vision is still a lot worse because all of the lights look about 3 times their actual size when I'm outdoors, and that makes it difficult to see anything else. No night-driving for me for a little while.

Saturday I also took an antihistamine for the first time since the week before my procedure. I had to stay away from them because they act as drying agents and would make my eyes dryer, but since we were going to East Texas and also staying with my friend who has 3 ginormous cats I knew I had to take one or I'd be miserable. I ended up becoming a snot-rag by midnight anyway, but I can at least say that I did not have any painful dryness and kept my eyes lubricated well.

I slept Saturday night for the first time without my exceptionally sexy plastic shields taped to my face. I can't tell you what a relief that was. It's about as comfortable as plastic shields taped to your face sounds. Every morning I woke up with circles embedded around my eyes making me look like I had slept with my scuba goggles on. I woke up a couple of times during the night so I went ahead and put drops in because I had taken more allergy meds and was trying to avoid any painful dryness.

Today I woke up and while my left eye is still doing pretty well my right eye is still playing host to the Big White Blob. It's like a little cloud right in the center of my field of vision, but it's not anything that is visible on the surface of my eye, at least as far as I can tell. Sometimes it clears up a bit, other times it's back. I remember my doctor saying when he removed the contacts that my corneas were at about 95% so maybe that last 5% is what is producing the Big White Blob. I am hopeful it was vacate soon.

As the day wears on my eyes get more tired and I seem to lose a little bit of clarity until bedtime. I guess that is to be expected. I was able to chang ethe resolution on my computer screen back to 1024 x 768 today. I had changed it to 800 x 600 so everything was bigger and easier for me to read, which I hated because it makes me feel like a little kid playing with a VSmile. I don't like the resolution begin set so low.

I have another appointment tomorrow which is another opportunity for the nurse to make me read lines on the white screen with one eye at a time and make me feel stupid because I can't read them well yet. Don't they know that right now my up-close vision is a lot better than my far-away vision??

1 comment:

Liz said...

hope that the white blob goes away soon. Glad you hd great time and that your sexy night glasses are gone!