Friday, September 21, 2012

September 11

I normally post something about September 11 every year, but I didn't write a post this year on the exact date. Obviously I didn't forget. In fact, on September 11 this year Kate and I went to the zoo. It was a gorgeous fall day and the weather was perfect. We also wanted to see the new baby rhinoceros, which Kate was very excited about.

On the way home from the zoo, Kate of course fell asleep so I took the opportunity to stop by the Watauga Fire Department on Hightower and visit the September 11th Memorial there while Kate snoozed in the van (I left it running.) There was a ceremony that morning, as evidence by the flowers people had left, and it didn't even occur to me to go there that morning (I actually had forgotten it was there until later in the day.) Two Watauga firemen took their own truck to New York and retrieved a piece of steel from the World Trade Center and it now stands just a few miles from my house.

It was a humbling feeling to place my hand on a piece of the towers. I've always been very deeply moved and emotional about 9/11, and I didn't even personally know anyone who died that day. But it's something I actually think about often, every time I glance at the clock and it's 9:11 (which happens a lot) I am moved.

I took some pictures and paid my respects. Did you take time to remember that day?

No comments: