Sunday, October 11, 2015

Road Trip Weekend: New Orleans Day 2 Part 2

Once we left Club Wyndham we headed to Canal Street so I could call the free shuttle for Mardi Gras World. They build and house all of the floats and parade props there, so we wanted to take the tour and see all of that since the odds of us ever coming here during Mardi Gras are about as high as they are of us purchasing a time share. I must say, it was really cool!
 They start most of their props with styrofoam and build and sculpt it. Then they paper mache it before it goes off to paint. It was pretty cool to see some of the pieces that were in construction and will be use for next year. They don't just do Mardi Gras stuff here though - they had some pieces that were actually headed to Universal Studios in Orlando on display and they're also the company that makes the Chick-fil-a cows that you see on billboards. I thought that was pretty cool.
We walked around for quite a while and explored the floats and pieces sitting everywhere before heading back to Canal Street. Since it was 3:30 by then and we technically hadn't had lunch yet, we decided to eat an early dinner and went to Oceana Grill off Bourbon Street. I had a bowl of seafood gumbo and Nick are a blackened catfish po'boy. They were both really good.

We did a little bit of shopping before heading back to the hotel for a bit to rest. We happened upon a hot sauce/seasonings store and I wasn't sure I would ever get Nick out of it. He sampled a lot of the hot sauces and chose a cajun BBQ sauce to bring home. I'm sure at some point we will venture back out to explore but right now Nick is snoring on the bed as I type my blog and edit photos.

No comments: