Thursday, August 30, 2007

80 miles in 2 hours

I despise traffic. Normally it takes me 30 minutes to get home from work and that's not great but it's really not bad...it's a straight shot down a main street so it's not like I have to sit on the freeway during any of that time. The commute is a little more annoying in the morning since school started back because I have 2 school zones to travel through. It's do-able though.

Today I had my pre-op surgical visit for my eye surgery - I'm having PRK done and I'm totally excited about it. The surgery center is in Dallas....way over in Dallas. My appointment was at 2, and they got to me a few minutes early, which I liked. When it was all said and done I left there about 3:15.

Nick works about a mile or so away from there, and since I have never seen his office I decided to drive by and look at where he works. He takes the TRE train over to work each day, which he really enjoys. I didn't realize how lucky he was until today.

By the time I actually headed home it was 3:30. I avoided the route I took over there because I noticed the road going the opposite direction was under construction. No problem; there are plenty of ways to get from Dallas to Ft Worth. I passed a few that resembled parking lots and finally settled on one and headed west.

5:16 I walked into my house. Can you say YUK? Almost 2 hours to drive from Dallas to Ft Worth; which is a distance of about 35 miles but since it's not a "straight shot" I drove about 80 miles. It wasn't even 5 pm yet...not even time for the real rush hour to begin.

I can't imagine what it must be like to drive that every single day, and I know there are people who do it. I think I would probably hate my life, my car, my job, and pretty much anyone I ever saw if I had to do that. By the time I got home I was so grumpy and achy and tired...just from the drive.

I'm thankful for my easy 30 minute drive...now more than ever. Maybe those school zones aren't so bad after all.

This is my surgery center:

No comments: