Friday, January 11, 2008

Let's talk politics.

Wow, that so doesn't sound like something I would say. I don't follow politics. I hate to say this, but let's just be honest - I don't care. Well, it's not that I don't care...hmm, how to word that? I care, but it's not something I think about on a daily basis. I don't even think about it on a weekly basis. Even though my radio, TV, and newspapers are being over-run with presidential ads and articles, I still don't think about it much. I vote, but I don't really feel like my vote counts very much because I think the electoral college is stupid. When Bush was running, I didn't vote for him even though I knew that was pointless because Texas's votes were going to go to Bush. I think if you are going to keep the electoral college around, then at least split up the electoral votes by percentage based on popular vote. Maybe more people would vote then.

I digress.
So this year I have *no clue* how I am supposed to vote. I know that I am completely uncomfortable with a female president and therefore will not be voting for Hilary, but other than that I don't think I have any strong opinions. Enter the World Wide Web. There are a plethora of websites out there that will allow you to fill out a questionnaire and based on your answers they will tell you who you should vote for. Being bored at work, as usual, I decided to give a few a shot and see what the results were. I answered all of these honestly and the same way when asked about the same issues...so I didn't cheat. Here are my results:

According to the VAJOE Candidate Calculator, Barack Obama is a 74.56% match for me. Biden is in second place at 73.68%, and Clinton in third. Ick. A few people I've never even heard of are my bottom matches, so I'm not even going to bother to copy-n-paste their names.

Hop over to Fox 2 News' calculator, and Thompson is my closest match at 45% with Romney in second place at 40%. It should be noted that on this site, Obama came in last place for me with 15%. Interesting.

WQAD News has this Candidate Matchmaker (how cute) and according to their site I should vote for some guy named Duncan Hunter whom I've never heard of, but we agree on 50% of the issues. Thompson scored 38% here and Obama 30%.

From here we travel over to the USAToday Candidate Match Game where Huckabee has now become my closest match followed by McCain and Richardson.

OK Cupid has both a Democratic test and a Republican test, so I took both. The Democratic test couldn't match me with anyone and asked if it was possible I am a Republican. ha. So I took the Republican test and Guliani is my closest match.

What have we learned today??
Rather than rely on an internet quiz to determine your vote, do a little research and choose the candidate you feel best supports your beliefs and ideals and then vote for that person.

If all else fails, there's always eeny-meenie-miney-moe.

No comments: