Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Music of the Night - AI

Because it has been requested, I will jump right on top of my American Idol blog from last night's show. The theme was the music of Andrew Lloyd Weber....love him! He was a a good mentor simply because you could tell he just wasn't totally impressed by this so-called "Best AI group ever". At least I didn't get the feeling that he was.

Syesha started off the night in the death spot (statistics show that the person who performs first has a 54% chance of going home!) with some song I had never heard that had the same words over and over again...but she did well. She actually showed some personality, she looked like she was having fun, and she didn't try to ooze Whitney/Mariah all over the song. Though not at all a pop star, I think she could have a decent career on Broadway.

Jason went second and for some reason he chose to sing Memory from Cats, which he said he didn't know was sung by a cat. Jason's great simply for his doofus interviews, but this week that's about the best he gave us because his performance was not good at all. I'm a fan, don't get me wrong, but he was destined to fail this week - it just wasn't the genre for him. I figure he'll be in the bottom 3.

Brooke followed Jason with the most uncomfortable Idol moment I have ever experienced. She actually stopped the song after one line and had the band start over. She should have just fumbled through the words because it woudln't have beenany worse than her second attempt at salvaging her performance. She was shaky and horribly uncomfortable throughout the entire song. It actually took Paula 30 seconds, which felt like 3 minutes, to formulate words to get onto Brooke for stopping and starting again. Seriously, it was dead silent - I think if someone had let one rip in the audience we all would have heard it during that moment-the silence was deafening. Brooke managed not to cry, but you know she knows she'll be in the bottom 3. I just wonder if America had enough sympathy (and if the new support of Votefortheworst.com) to vote for her anyway, bless her little heart.

David Archuletta sang another slow ballad-y song and he squinted and gasped his way through his performance and it sounded just like ever other song this kid has ever sang, except that he fumbled an entire line of the words and NO ONE SAID A WORD. Randy even declared him the one to beat and I once again was left to wonder why they don't just shower this id with confetti every time he walks out on stage. Gag.

Carly shouted Jesus Christ Superstar for 2 painful minutes and the only good thing I can say about her is that her dress had sleeves again. She's horrible. Of course they all loved it and i'm getting more worried that our final 2 will be Carly and Archuletta at which point I will refuse to watch the finale because one is just as bad as the other and whoever wins will be irrelevant to me. Oh, but this week we got an almost fully-lit shot of her scary husband.

David Cook ended the night with Music of the Night from Phantom and I loved it. I will admit that I was worried he'd try to take a song I adore and rock it up, which would have been a little difficult for me. Instead he just sang it and he did a pretty darn good job of it too. I think he's lost some weight since the show started - his head is looking a little less round these days.

1 comment:

Sherri said...

I heard a clip of David Cook and loved it. Why does everyone love Archiletta! He licks his lips and squints way too much. Jason so much fun with his duffiness! Like he's high all the time, on cloud 9!