Thursday, February 12, 2009

Confirmed

I received a call from my doctor's office yesterday with the confirmation that my labs indeed pointed to PCOS. Now I can be totally sure and content that we've got a plan of attack. I've contemplated filling you in on the side effects I experience from the Metformin I'm taking here, however some of them just aren't very pleasant. I don't want to offend or gross out any of my readers...but I also want to keep it real around here. Part of the reason I want to share is that I've been scouring the internet for other people's personal experiences with PCOS and Metformin, and I really can't find a lot of nonclinical information.

OK...I've made up my mind. I will share. If you don't want to read some wee bit uncomfortable information about me, then stop reading now and go check your Facebook page. I won't be offended. I'll even insert a pretty photo to give you something pleasant to view before you go:
There are several side effects listed with Metformin: mild nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, stomach pain and headache. Yesterday was my second day on the medicine and I can definitely say I had to deal with stomach pain. It was bearable and I wasn't nauseous. I also experienced a little pain in the ovary area, similar to the discomfort you feel sometimes during your period. This morning I experienced some diarrhea. It was as unpleasant as it can be, but I took some Imodium and that made it stop completely. I've had that same pain in my ovary area today, mostly on the left side. Every once in a while it was kind of a stabbing pain but mostly dull and achy. I have not had any headaches nor any of the other effects yet.

Some websites I have read say that these side effects typically cease after a couple of weeks, when your body gets used to the meds. I did read a couple of people's encounters with the side effects so severe they had to find an alternative medication and stop taking the Metformin. As with any drug, I guess it varies from person to person.

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Good that you have a plan. Hopefully the side effects won't last too long.

{S} said...

I believe the meds will/are working and that it's a small sacrifice to make to reach your goal. I'm sorry that you have to put more effort into achieving the wonderful blessing of children, it seems terribly unfair. Prayers are lifted high and will continue. (((hugs)))

P.S. Nicole (about) had the same issues and went through all the meds and test etc. to finally have her little boy. She is very open and helpful to others going through it, including my SIL. Maybe she can share advice to you as well?