Friday, March 26, 2010

Running in circles

One of my favorite errands used to be going to the grocery store. I loved finding a good deal and buying new foods to try new recipes at home. When I got pregnant, Nick took over the grocery shopping because my swollen feet just couldn't handle waddling around the store. You would think that now that I'm a stay-at-home mom Kate and I would take over the grocery shopping again, but we have not. Sometimes Nick still goes at night, but often I go by myself once he gets home from work. So why don't we go during the day when we have all the time in the world and the store isn't crowded? Here's why:

Today we ran errands. We stopped at Hobby Lobby first to pick up a birthday gift for my stepmom. I wore Kate in her carrier while in there. She really likes the carrier because she can hang out, attached to mommy, and see everything. It is sort of a pain for me to park the car, put on the carrier, put Kate in the carrier, and then once we get back to the car take Kate out, put her back in her car seat, remove the carrier from me, and not forget to get the items out of our shopping cart before we leave the store. So when I have to stop at multiple locations, we have to repeat this process again and let's face it...that's exhausting.

We left Hobby Lobby today and headed over to Walmart to get five items. FIVE. That's it. I never have to go to Walmart for so few items. Rather than wear her again, I decided to let Kate be a big girl and sit in the shopping cart. She's sitting up pretty good these days, so I figured she would be fine. This meant I had to pull out the shopping cart cover thingy because those carts are germy and nasty. I used to make fun of mommies that use those things, and now I am one. It took me a few minutes to get the seat belt part through the cover because the holes were kind of small. Then I strapped in Kate and off we went for our five items. We shopped, she didn't get very fussy, and we got to the car.

I now have to remove Kate from the cart, get her into her car seat, remove the cart cover (this is when she started to cry from the car), grab the 2 grocery bags plus the 27 pound container of cat litter and the case of bottled water. Thankfully a nice gentleman heard Kate and saw my struggle and offered to put the cat litter and water in the car. He then took my cart away. Nice.

It was on the way home from Walmart that I realized I forgot one of the five items I had to purchase. How do you forget something when you only need five items?? So now I have no choice but to venture back out for another errand because the thing I forgot is required in order for me to give it to my sister-in-law tomorrow as part of her birthday gift.

Perhaps as Kate and I run more errands we will get better at the in and out stuff. It takes a lot of work to take an infant shopping though.

2 comments:

Yesterday's Tomorrow said...

ROFLMBO --- oh you KILL me! ;)

I totally hear ya!

now that mine are 8 and 4 LOL it's SO much easier... but I still prefer to do errands when they are at school or after daddy gets home ;)

Jenn said...

Ugh! I know exactly how you feel. It's what I like to call "Mommy brain" and I'll let you know if it ever gets better. Ha! I used to wait and go grocery shopping at like 10pm after everyone was in bed. I got to be all by myself, and the store was empty. I would just wander up and down the aisles enjoying being alone. Anyway, it will get better. Someday.