Thursday, January 6, 2011

33

Today is my birthday. I am 33.

That just sounds so strange. I am not sure what I thought I would be like when I was 33, but I honestly don't feel any differently about who am I than I ever have. I think at some point I'm supposed to feel like a grown-up, but really I feel the same. Is this what adults have always meant when they used to say to me "I don't feel any different than when I was your age." Because now I'm there, and I don't feel any different, even though mentally I am very different. I hope I don't become one of those people who says things like that to young people one day. Are we all destined for that sort of thing?

Tangent ahead:
Ladies, the above question made me think of something that has been on my mind lately. Are we all destined for what I like to refer to as "little old lady hair"?? On Sunday and Wednesday nights at church I like to sit at the back. It's when I have a view of the back of everyone in the auditorium that the wide spread phenomenon of little old lady hair becomes very noticeable. So is this something we're supposed to do when we hit a certain age; chop our hair off and get a perm? Quite honestly, I don't look good with short hair and I don't want a perm.

Ok, I realize none of that really had anything to do with my previous train of thought, but it needed to be addressed.

I read something depressing today. This year's college freshmen were mostly born in 1992. I was entering my freshman year of high school in the fall of 1992. Seriously. Where does the time go?

I got a birthday card from my daughter today, and it even had a little note written in there from her in her Daddy's hand-writing. But the best part about the card was the smashed up cracker that was inside. I'd like to think that if Kate had actually given me a card at this point in her life there would be a cracker inside for me. It was a nice touch.

3 comments:

Amber said...

You can count on me not to have "little old lady" hair!! I hope to still have bright red stripes!! By the way...they are back :)

Anonymous said...

OK, too adorable. Happy belated birthday! We're cohorts! I was a freshman in 92, myself... Sigh. The kids I'm teaching now were all born while I was in high school, some when I was in middle school, which isn't much better.

I have often wondered about the old lady hair myself. And do we have to go with lavendar hair? Can't I have hot pink?

{S} said...

no way. no how. will I ever be "an Old Lady" I'll be a uber Cool old CHICK with my converse and retro t-shirts forever! LOL! I'm way older than you already. You have nothing to worry about. You've already set your tone, so you'll always be cool and young at heart.