Thursday, February 23, 2012

Baking with Mommy

I found a recipe for a low fat loaf cake the other night, and I had some points leftover for the day so Kate helped me try it out.  She loves to bake and every time we accidentally say the word cook out loud, she runs into the kitchen and starts pushing her Learning Tower over towards the counter and declares that "Kate help cook".  Sometimes that's okay, but often we are about to fire up the stove top or electric skillet and I worry about her getting burned so we don't usually let her help with that.  But pouring ingredients into the mixer?  The kid is a pro.  She spends a lot of time baking at Yiayia's house.
 Even though we were going to be using the mixer, I let her stir some of the stuff together with the spoon so she could feel like she was helping more.  One day I showed her how to turn on the mixer so she could do it, and before I could stop her she went straight to high and stuff flew everywhere. So now I just give her s spoon for a little bit and let her stir.
 She of course gets to lick the beater and spoons though.  That's the most important part of the process!  I am pretty sure that's why she wants to help cook...it's not for the process.  It's for the snack.

 She showed Daddy that she got all the mix out of the bowl.  We're really going to have to work on that because I'm a pro at cleaning the bowl with a spoon and this is far from clean.  She'll learn in time.

No comments: