Wednesday, August 14, 2013

24 Hours Later

Day two of swim lessons began at 8 am when Kate woke up and the first thing out of her mouth was "Mommy, do I have to go to swim class?" followed by tears when I said yes.  She proceeded to cry all morning, ran from me (literally) when I was trying to get her swimsuit on (as in naked, running around house saying "I want my pjs back on!"), and repeatedly begging me "Mommy please don't make me go to swim class!"

We arrived early so we watched the class before ours finishing up, and Kate kept crying in my lap, asking to get back in the car. Then it was time for her to remove her cover-up and get in the water. She fought me a little bit and I placed her into Mrs. Cheryl's waiting arms and she began working with her...and thirty seconds later, something happened.

She stopped crying.
She listened to instruction and followed directions.
When Mrs. Cheryl put her on the side of the pool on her mat to wait her next turn, she sat there without complaint.
She SMILED.
Who was this kid?

Needless to say, the rest of her swim lesson was perfect, and she did a great job. She came over to wipe her face off after getting out of the pool each time, but then went right back to her mat and sat quietly. The only thing she struggled with yesterday was floating on her back because she doesn't trust that she won't sink, so we had homework to practice floating when we left, even if it was just in the bath tub. Yesterday afternoon we went swimming at Yiayia's pool so Kate could practice and she did really good.

This morning, she's been trying to get dressed for day 3 for an hour. I told her it wasn't time and finally gave in and let her put her swimsuit on.

No comments: