Monday, August 11, 2014

Galveston Vacation Day 1

Yesterday we headed south for a week in Galveston with Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Trey. Kate is so excited to be going to the beach again! She only asked three times on the way down if we were there yet, which I was thankful for. (Yay for DVD players in the car.)

When we got into town, we checked in to our hotel and unloaded the cars. Let's talk about how traveling to the beach for one week requires a small Uhaul's worth of junk! We look like we were moving in. Anyway, after getting unpacked and rearranging the furniture in our room a bit, we decided to go to a nice dinner since we weren't all sunburned and cranky rather than wait later in the week. I was the only one who had ever been to a Bubba Gump's before (in San Francisco and Gatlinburg) so that's where we ended up.
Kate was excited that her burger came in a little boat (a replica of Jenny) and I ordered a pound of crab legs because they're fabulous. We filled our bellies while eating on the balcony and watched a storm building in the distance over Houston that was headed our way. Because of all the lightening, we decided we really could do anything else outside like swim or putt putt so we went back to the hotel.

Richard and I grabbed our camera gear and drove out to East Beach to try and get some lightening shots. The lightening was phenomenal! I am still learning to shoot lightening (it's all about patience) but I think I got some decent pictures. After the lightening sort of died down, we headed downtown to The Strand so I could see the buildings down there. We did a little more night shooting but left because a homeless guy wouldn't stop bothering us to take his picture. It was late and I was getting tired anyway.
Tomorrow - the beach!

No comments: