Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Rainy day ramblings

Today is one of those gloomy, cloudy days where the sky looks like it could dump a million gallons of water at any moment. According to the weather report on Yahoo right now, we have about a 40% chance of that happening. By looking out the window, I'd say that's more like 80%, but what do I know?

Mother's Day was a success at my house. We decided instead of buying some crap, er, I mean lovely little gift to sit around the house for Mom that we'd just feed everyone. So we did. Saturday night we stayed up until 1:30 a.m. preparing the meats and veggies for the following day. I cut up onions and peppers for the kabobs and potatoes, I chopped potatoes, I assembled the kabobs, Nick started on the ribs, I cut up the steaks and seasoned them, I wrapped the corn in foil and prepared it for grilling, Nick vacuumed and rearranged the living room to make room for the card table, and we made 3 gallons of iced tea.

Sunday, we ate. We had chicken and shrimp kabobs, grilled chicken breast, sirloin steaks, turkey sausage, and BBQ ribs along with corn on the cob, pork 'n beans, and potatoes with peppers and onions. For dessert, Nick's sister made some mini molten lava cakes which we warmed in the oven and then topped with ice cream. In all, we fed 9 people, and everyone left with a full belly. I'd say it was a successful day. My husband made ribs for the first time ever and they were to die for! I'll share the recipe, we found it online:

You being the rib cooking process the night before. We started with one rack of ribs that we divided into three sections. Boil in water for 45 minutes. Drain and place the ribs in a pan and cover those bad boys with BBQ sauce. At my house, we use Sweet Baby Ray's because it rocks. That needs to refrigerate for several hours, which we did overnight. The ribs then need to cook for three hours at 250 degrees. Remove from oven and place on the grill for 10 minutes. Ta-da! I am seriously not a big fan of ribs, but I got seconds on these. The meat just fell off the bone. Try it.

This weekend I'm scrapbooking with my girls from all over Texas. We meet up at a ranch outside of Clifton and scrapbook all weekend...it's always the best time! I can't wait - I need the get-away. After working so much on those Senior scrapbooks I'll be happy to work on my own stuff again.

BTW...because I know you're wondering...no word on the job yet but I'm hoping today to hear something. On Friday I was told "early next week" because they want the person coming in to start on Monday...which means they really need to get on the ball.

No comments: