Monday, June 15, 2009

Gettin' pregnant-er.

Are you just dying to ask me how I'm feeling these days? I'll save you the trouble.

Things are progressing nicely I presume. We had another doctor's appointment last Monday. We heard the little one's heartbeat again, still holding steady at 163. Thinking girl, anyone? However the doctor was concerned about my sugar level from the urine test. The nurse actually came in the room pretty quickly and asked me what I had eaten for breakfast. Special K (chocolate delight, ok?) and a banana about an hour after that. Apparently my sugar was up over 2000 or something like that...so that triggered Dr. Safely to schedule me for a one hour glucose test the next day which is a few weeks earlier than most women have them done. Having PCOS makes me at more risk for gestational diabetes, as does being overweight.

Having heard nightmare stories from people who hated that stuff they make you drink for the glucose, I had completely freaked myself out. For one, I was told I had to fast for at least 8-10 hours, which basically just meant no breakfast. I am not a breakfast skipper. In fact, skipping breakfast makes me nauseous. One day last week I actually threw up in the shower a few times because I hadn't had breakfast yet. Note to self...eat breakfast before showering. Anyway, I was not looking forward to skipping eating for this reason and found it quite difficult. Secondly, I had decided that the stuff they were going to make me drink was going to taste like that awful stuff I had to drink before my colonoscopy. That was the most difficult thing I've ever done. I think it was a half gallon and I had to drink 8 ounces at a time every 10 minutes. By the end of the ordeal, I was in tears.

I got to the lab and had to wait 20 minutes before they pulled me back to take my first draw of blood. It took the poor girl forever to find a vein because they were so deep from fasting. (Go figure.) Then she brought in this tiny little bottle of bright orange stuff and gave me 5 minutes to drink it. I downed it within a minute and immediately wondered what the big deal was. It tasted like an orange Pop-Ice icicle. I actually kind of liked it. I had completely freaked out for no reason. I brought a book to keep me occupied for the hour that I had to wait in the office for my next blood draw, which the chick proceeded to draw from the same vein. That hurts.

My glucose was high. It was supposed to be around 139 and it tested at 143...which means that I have to go back to the lab for the 3 hours glucose test next week. UGH.

The really good news is that my ultrasound is schedule for June 22....one week from today!!! We will hopefully find out if we're indeed having a girl like I think we are or if I am wrong and we're having a boy! I say hopefully because it depends on the little one cooperating and I don't want to assume it will work out as I have planned. I'm keeping my fnigers crossed.

I've been feeling a lot more fetal movement these days, although it is still not quite at a consistent level and not enough that Nick is able to feel it too. I can't wait until he can hold his hand on my belly and feel the baby. He will really enjoy that experience.

3 comments:

{S} said...

ugh! the glucose is the worst! I hated it! LOL!!
I'm so excited for you.

Jenn said...

I felt the same way about the Glucose stuff. I'm sure the fasting stinks though. Ugh! So glad you posted this as I WAS dying to ask. ;)

TammyB said...

That's too bad about the blood glucose test. Hopefully everything will work out for you. Can't wait to see if your prediction about the baby is correct.