Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Don't break the bank!

In my quest for all things Seuss, the only piggy bank I ever came across online was a fish. It was cute, sure, and I contemplated purchasing it off Ebay because I knew I woul dneed one for all of Pop's quarters. I'm so glad I held off and told my stepmom to make a bank instead. She did a fabulous job, and I want to share all the little details with you today.

I love most that it's not perfect. It looks worn and ragged, like the Cat himself used it for years. The brim isn't flat, as a real hat wouldn't be. There is a crease on one side, so it sits just slightly off-kilter, kind ofa rumply effect.The top is cracked and creased and crinkled and worn. I don't think I could have done a better job if I had designed it myself. I know that we will enjoy filling it with the quarters from Pop...I'm just curious to find out exactly how many quarters this baby will hold. I didn't measure it, but I know it's at least 12" tall. That's a lot of quarters.

4 comments:

{S} said...

that's awesome!! I love those one of a kinds things. It'll be so heavy when it's full too! Careful!

*BeeStarr* said...

Can you say how it is made so I can do this at home!? I just LOVE it!!

*BeeStarr* said...

I LOVE this!! Can you add details as to how it was made!? I would LOVE to make one for my son! Thank you!

:::b r a n d i::: said...

To the above poster - I'm sorry, I have no idea how to make ceramics or anything about the process really. My stepmother made this and gave it to Kate. I'm sorry I can't help you!