Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Wienermobile!!

I have always always always wanted to see the Wienermobile in person. I have no clue as to why I have always had this desire. I don't even like hot dogs. There's just something about a giant hot dog car that begs for me to see it in person. I even own a tiny little lapel pin of the Wienermobile that I purchased at some gift shop in Michigan.

After dinner we were standing around, saying our goodbyes in the parking lot of Hacienda Colorado when I suddenly realize that the Wienermobile had pulled into the parking lot of a hotel across the street. THE WIENERMOBILE! That's what I shouted.
I took off. It's a good thing I had already given out hugs to pretty much everyone because I was on a mission. I didn't know how long it was going to be parked and I had to go see this in person, it was literally within walking distance and calling my name. Trey followed me across a pretty large and busy intersection, past the Conoco, and around and through a chain link fence to get to the Wienermobile.
There she was, in all her orange and yellow glory. RELSHME.
I would so drive one of those things. Not on promotional tours. I would drive it just everyday. To the grocery store. To church. I would rock out that Wienermobile. I called Nick and told him to bring Kate over when he finished with his goodbyes because I needed a photo of my daughter with it too. She's for sure a cooler kid today than yesterday, and I can say for certain that my trip to Colorado has been excellent.
Oh, and just for your Wienermobile reading pleasure, I copied this from Wikipedia:

The Oscar Mayer Wienermobile has evolved from Carl Mayer's original 1936 vehicle to the current vehicles seen on the road today. Although gas rationing kept the Wienermobile off the road during World War II, in the 1950s Oscar Mayer and the Gerstenslager Company created several new vehicles using a Dodge chassis or a Willys Jeep chassis. One of these models is on display at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI. These Wienermobiles were piloted by "Little Oscar" who would visit stores, schools, orphanages, children's hospitals, and participate in parades and festivals.

In 1969, new Wienermobiles were built upon a Chevrolet motor home chassis and featured Ford Thunderbird taillights. The 1969 vehicle was the first Wienermobile to travel to foreign countries. In 1976 Plastic Products, inc., built a fiberglass and styrofoam model, again on a Chevrolet motor home chassis.

In 1988, Oscar Mayer launched its Hotdogger program, where recent college graduates were hired to drive the Wienermobile through various parts of the nation and abroad. Using a converted Chevrolet van chassis, Stevens Automotive Corporation and noted industrial designer Brooks Stevens built a fleet of six Wienermobiles for the new team of Hotdoggers.

In 1995, the Wienermobile grew in size to 27-feet long and 11-feet high. The most recent version of the Wienermobile, built in 2004, has been updated to include a voice activated GPS navigation device, an audio center with a wireless microphone, and a horn that plays the Wiener Jingle in 21 different genres from Cajun to Rap to Bossa Nova, according to American Eats.

There are seven Wienermobiles in existence. The current Wienermobile sports fourth generation Pontiac Firebird taillights.

1 comment:

{S} said...

OMG! too funny & so awesome!! I have a rubber stamp of it! LOL!!