Monday, October 27, 2014

Pumpkin Patch

Kate wanted to go to the pumpkin patch this year, and quite frankly none of us thought about it until today. I normally take her early in the month on a nice, quiet weekday so we don't have to put up with all the crazies. Not this year - this year we went on a Sunday afternoon the weekend before Halloween. Never again!
We went back to the Flower Mound pumpkin patch, which I took Kate to in 2012. They have tons of yard art characters for photo opportunities, and she loves all of those characters. We did't have to take a photo with every single one like the previous visit though - only the ones she actually likes this time around.
We made our way out to the pumpkin field and then back up to the character area and by that time, we were pretty much done. It was so crowded and insanely busy that it wasn't even enjoyable, so we snapped our photos and then left. I'm just glad it was only $5 to get in.
Since it was still early in the afternoon, we headed over to Cabela's on I-35 and found a spot to park and watch the Thunderbirds perform at the end of the Alliance Air Show. We pulled up pretty much at the exact time they were taking off, so we got to see their whole performance. It's extremely loud, so Kate and Nick stayed in the car (and Kate still had her hands over her ears). We were situated so that on a couple of occasions, one of the jets came right over our head pretty low. The second time it happened, I literally felt it fly over too - it was deafening! They do all of their maneuvers at 450-500 mph, or so I read, so I literally didn't have to time react and get a shot when they flew so low and close. BAM - they were gone in an instant. It was a cool show and I got a few decent photos, although the limitations of my cheap telephoto lens kept me from getting anything I would consider great. One of these days though....

No comments: