Thursday, April 13, 2017

Toothpicks with First Graders

Finally, my last duty as room mom is fulfilled. I'm a little bit stressed by room mom duties, I'm not going to lie. Last year I helped at every party, but I wasn't the one coming up with ideas, which was nice. When you're the one coming up with ideas, everything is sounds extremely complicated or extremely juvenile and boring. Add the pressure of your child telling you that she doesn't want a boring party (do something cool, Mom) and it's enough to drive you crazy.

So I decided for the spring party to buy peeps, marshmallows, and toothpicks to let the kids build birdhouses for their peeps. I know, toothpicks and first graders - scary! But I laid down the law before I passed them out and everyone was very well behaved. As a bonus, they all seemed to love the project! Once we finished that, they got to decorate cookies before devouring them along with cupcakes, marshmallows, and pretzels. 
On Thursdays, Kate has been having playdates with one of her school besties, Alyssa. So Alyssa came home with us after the party, and the girls proceeded to decorate (and eat) the last 2 cookies left from the party. Then they jumped on the trampoline until they were worn out. It was a great day!
Kate keeps asking if I'm going to be a room mom next year too....we will just have to see about that.

No comments: